December 3, 2009

tried and true: part one

Llbean_skier_sweater

Looking through the L.L.Bean Christmas catalog today, I noticed this cute mock-neck cardigan sweater in a Nordic pattern with nice metal buttons..and (for some unknown reason) a random little skier navigating his way down the front of the sweater. This one quirky detail makes this otherwise kind of boring and very "LLBean"-esque cardigan a unique piece.

It reminds me a lot of the Paul&Joe cashmere sweaters (I don't think they are doing them anymore) that were a totally normal piece - like a solid, red cardigan - and then they would just have an owl on the side, staring at you. Or I used to have a pink Paul&Joe cardigan that for some reason had a frog holding an umbrella in the rain on the back of it. Also not unlike Lucien Pellat-Finet cashmere sweaters (see below) but less dark, less skulls and marijuana leaves and more happy, snowy adventures.

Lucien Pellat-Finet Sweater

Like I said, quirky but still cute. The L.L.Bean sweater, by the way, is 100% merino wool and sells for $79.

And after discovering this one interesting piece, I felt inspired to look through the rest of the L.L.Bean catalog and even the website to see what other diamonds in the rough were to be found. I found a very cute cotton flannel tartan robe in the men's section, available in a variety of different plaids (I like the red tartan). It is also moderately priced at $49.50.

Llbean_tartanrobe

And since duck boots are all the rage right now and L.L.Bean basically invented them with their "Bean boots", I found these tall shearling lined versions that are actually a little more wearable than real duck boots. I mean, it's hard to go to work wearing duck boots and not look like you are going hunting. Am I wrong?

Llbean_tall_beanboot

Because of their durability (and craftsmanship, I'm sure), they are a little more pricey at $184.

All items are available at llbean.com. And the Lucien Pellat-Finet picture was borrowed from the blog Tweed and Velvet.

No comments:

Post a Comment