October 18, 2011

my new black Filson bag



Purchased at the original Filson store in Seattle, my new handbag is very much a "man-bag". I had always admired the small cross-body messenger bag from outdoor hunting brand Filson but couldn't decide on a color and felt that it might be too authentic and not enough fashion for me. When I spotted the new black color - a first for Filson* - I took inspiration from Coco Chanel and her love of manly items and purchased one for myself. The body of the bag is a soft black wool and it is trimmed in black leather. And with a lifetime guarantee, this bag seems to be a relative bargain at $175. After one week with this bag, I am loving the sheer utility of it:
  • the long strap means it is perfect to wear cross-body but it also has a short strap on top so it can be carried one-handed as well.
  • there is a "tip" pocket on the back, similar to the classic Chanel bags, that is a great spot for the iPhone
  • the roomy interior easily holds my large wallet, makeup bag, two baggus, sunglasses, keys and even a small notebook
  • the front flap pocket is a good place to tuck things (like important papers) that you don't want to get lost
  • lastly, it is not nearly as heavy as the twill Filson bags I've used in the past
*(To note: Filson has also done black in the medium messenger size as a collaboration with Blackbird, the men's boutique in Seattle. This limited edition run of 66 is a black twill with dark brown leather trim and only available in the larger, double pocket silhouette.)

No comments:

Post a Comment