October 4, 2012

Isabel Marant - the betty & the boston


I know they are trendy. I know all the celebrities have them, even the B-list ones. I know the trend is almost tired. But I can't. stop. obsessing. coveting. just plain wanting.

They look great dressed up or down, with pants or with dresses and skirts. Personally I love the black but would love the tan suede or the white leather just as much. The boston style with black suede snakeskin detail is the one I would choose if I could have any of them.
the Boston
The hightop Beckett is too much for me and I think one must be either six feet tall or a supermodel or both to wear those.
The Beckett is on the right in two colors

Normally I think anything that is a "hybrid" especially when it comes to shoes is never a good idea. This one though has definitely grown on me the more I have seen it. Not sure if it is BECAUSE i have seen it so much or because it genuinely has great appeal. And having tried them on when I was in NYC - the Betty in black leather at Steven Alan and the Boston at the IM boutique in Soho - I found them really comfortable. And was pleasantly surprised that I could go either way with the size: either the 37 or the 38 (I am a US size 7 shoe), which has not been the case with the Dicker, the Dixie or the Jenny boots. All of which I need a 37.


What I couldn't rationalize however was the price for something so trendy, as I said before, and so unabashedly casual. Sneakers are sneakers. And no matter if they are $600 and from France and make me taller, I don't think I would be wearing them out to dinner either way.

Nevertheless, practicality and reasoning only go so far.  A girl can dream...

The Betty and the Boston by Isabel Marant can be purchased online at la garconne or at Stuart and Wright in Brooklyn.

Emma Watson in the betty in white



No comments:

Post a Comment