March 15, 2013

It's a Fanny Pack, people.

Clare Vivier's new waist bag
I know a fanny pack, ahem...waist bag, is sort of inherently a fashion faux pas. Knowing that I don't hesitate at all to tell you that I own one. It is the most beautiful tan suede with wide leather belt fanny pack you have ever seen; it also happens to be Maison Martin Margiela and is one of my most treasured possessions (Really!) An exception to the no-fanny-pack rule, it might be.

My MMM pride and joy
So perhaps because of owning this special and novel fanny pack, I reacted more positively than the average person to the new "waist bag" by Clare Vivier. It is smaller than the average bum bag, which helps I think. And it is very simple in design. And to be honest, wearing a fanny pack leaves you hands-free, a wholly underrated fashion experience (especially as a parent). I do find that fanny packs only work in the summer though. Jackets just get in the way of it (does it go over or under?) and it looks best when combined with some version of two-piece outfit - shorts or a skirt - and occasionally with the right cute summer dress or romper.


I included this photo of a vintage Chanel fanny pack (for sale yesterday at R29, alas it sold out already) just to prove its validity as a fashion item. I mean, if Karl Lagerfeld thinks it's okay then we are on to something, right?


And not to be outdone, Leandra Medine of Man Repeller (if you are into the underage blogger thing) has a quite covetable diamond-shaped fanny pack in lipstick red. Hers is by Larissa Hadjio, who has an even chic-er one coming out soon, all black with gold hardware, available in two sizes (pictured right).

Clare Vivier in navy
The Clare Vivier waist bag is available at Shopbop for $216. A less pricey version of this trend (trend?) can be had at American Apparel. And because of the bright colors of their version, I think it would be a great accessory for a kid. They have a nylon one for $22, a leather one for $42, and corduroy or denim, both for $22.

1 comment:

  1. I like this post,And I guess that they having fun to read this post,they shall take a good site to make a information,thanks for sharing it to me.
    mens fanny pack

    ReplyDelete